Monday, April 23, 2012

A Trip to the West, Hong Kong


^Zhujiang Brewery factory floor, bottling room.

           "Relaxx, relaxxx, just have a beer.." This was the mantra that we heard at Zhujiang Brewery when we toured their factory, and it must be one of the defining words in their advising campaign.  Only at a beer factory can you be consoled about your pending alcohol problem (don't worry college friends it's not alcoholism until you graduate).  After the mildly brainwashing presentation of the brand, we actually got to tour the factory, and it was awesome to see such a large scale production, with huge vats of hops making there way through the mashing process, into the fermentation tubs, etc.

^This photo was taken at the Chen Family Compound in the late '60s.  The Chinese characters read, "听毛主席话,跟共产党走。” (English: Listen to Premier Mao's words, follow the Communist Party.")


          While in Guangzhou we also visited the Chen family compound, which had been beautifully preserved with most of the original figures and sculptures on the roofs of the buildings, and the Chen family art display, whose Ivory sculptures would make PETA cry.  But among all this, I was wondering to myself, what was going on here during the Cultural Revolution that all of this was so well preserved?  And then I saw a case with several photos from the ‘60s and ‘70s and I quickly knew that even all of this had been affected.  Mao’s regime didn’t destroy everything at the family compound, but I’m sure without his raid, the compound would be that much more beautiful, that much more preserved, and contain that much more of China’s authentic history.  I still don’t fully understand all of the detrimental effects that the Cultural Revolution had on China, but it is important to try to consider what effects it has had on China’s modern society today.  Nonetheless, it left a deep deep scar.

^City in the morning,  beautiful mountains and beaches in the afternoon, where else do you find this?



           If only everyone in Hong Kong spoke Mandarin, it would be my heaven!  My few days in Hong Kong left me clamoring to go back.  The first night we arrived, we went to the top of Victoria Hill, which overlooks the city and it is beautiful at night.  But one thing happened that quickly reminded me that we were no longer on the mainland.  When we were waiting for the Victoria Hill cable car, I yelled something to my friend Nikolaj who was about 100 feet away, and the Hong Kong person that was in front of me, turned around and said in perfect English, "Excuse me, sir.  You just yelled in my ear." My jaw dropped because obviously no one would ever say anything on the mainland, in fact they'd probably join in your shouting.  Hong Kong is just.. well more civilized.

^Pronounced Fu Min Lu in Mandarin.

         The free day was awesome, which included everything from Stanley's Market, to Kowloon, to "Times Square," to the beach and a short hike, back to the city to the night market, to the balcony of the IFC mall, and of course heading to Lan Kuai Fong to meet with a few new Hong Kong friends for the night.  For you hardworking Mandarin students out there just remember LKF because after you've learned PinYin none of Canto's romanization will make any sense.  Another thing that will blow you away in Hong Kong is their ability to speak English, perfectly. I met several groups of Hong Kong natives who were speaking English among themselves even though they all spoke Canto, and I thought to myself they must be putting on a show, but when you meet them and they're already in the middle of a conversation in English, there is no faking that!  Even the cab driver was like a professional tour guide, rattling off historic sites and facts like Newt Gingrich making a speech.

^Hong Kong nighttime light show, must see for anyone visiting.
       I can't forget about the Hot Springs in Zhongshan either.  My god, this place is gorgeous. For a little context, its an old hotel for government officials, so you can imagine how luxurious it is.  The hot springs are hot, the pool is refreshing, the buffet bangs, and you just wish you had more day there!

^Zhongshan hot springs, and you can probably see, it was steamy!

        I wish I could say more about the trip, but it is absolutely something you have to enjoy for yourself, Alliance did a great job in planning this trip and if you get a chance go abroad at SUFE you'll love this week!

^The good life in Macau.

1 comment:

  1. I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. Cheap flights to Shanghai

    ReplyDelete