Friday, April 11, 2014

San Francisco Day 4

Let’s do it live. I hope you brought you're A-Game today because you’ll be out and about all day crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.  Be sure to start your day at 10am or even sooner so that you can fit it all in.  For a full on SF experience, hop on the cable car at Powell Street and ride it all the way to the end at Hyde Street.  Enjoy the trip over Russian Hill, and just imagine if you had to walk it. Once on the other side, you’ll be at Fisherman’s Wharf, and you can head over to Blazing Saddles to rent a few bikes.  Each bike will be about $50 to rent, which includes your ferry ticket back from Sausalito, and they outfit you with some great mountain bikes with nice tires and disc breaks.

^Fortunately, I had an awesome partner, Gabbi, to join me for the ride.  It was a long day, so get ready for a workout.

The trip from Fisherman’s Wharf to Sausalito, which is your destination on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge, is about 10 miles.  The ride is absolutely gorgeous and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to take pictures of Aquatic Park, FortMason, The Marina Green, Crissy Field, The Presidio, Fort Point (great view), and especially the Golden Gate Bridge!  You’ll be hungry by the time you reach Sausalito, so you can either check out some restaurants in the town area, or keep riding a few miles to Fish.  Unfortunately for us, they were remodeling when we went out there so we didn’t get a chance to try it!  If you get around to trying it, shoot me a message and let me know how it went.  Instead, we ate at Sausalito Seahorse where we ordered a bunch of Mediterranean food, which was tasty indeed.

^San Fran's version of Muscle Beach near the Marina Green.

Walk off your food coma around the Marina, and hop back on your bike! It is probably approaching mid-afternoon so you can go back to Sausalito to shop for a while or head to the Blue and Gold Ferry.  The ferry ride is pretty spectacular, which starts with the sound of harbor seals as you’re boarding ship.  We passed Alcatraz and saw a giant container ship, which are a lot larger than you think when you see it up close and personal.  Also, a word of advice would be to keep an eye on your bike!  Everyone riding the ferry back has rented a bike from the same place, and they all look the same stacked in the center of the boat.  Someone almost walked off with mine, and you wouldn’t be happy about paying for the bike.

^The iconic Blue and Gold Ferry.

As you disembark, look out for the “fun police.” I got back on my bike after getting off the ferry; rode off a curb, and a guy jumped out in front of me, and said, “Stop! I’m going to have to give you a ticket now!” My heart sank, and I responded, “Why? What are you talking about?” And he told me, “I’m with the fun police, and you’re not having enough fun.” So I started grinning and he knew he had me, so he rattled off a few more lines of his patter and claimed that he was raising money for a soup kitchen.  So I gave him a few bucks and mentioned it to the guy I had met at Blazing Saddles and he told me, “It’s questionable how much goes to the soup kitchen and how much goes into their pocket.” Beware!

After returning your bike, you can finish your day off with an Irish coffee at Buena Vista CafĂ©.  You may want to leave a few extra minutes for traveling back on the cable car.  I’m not sure if something was running slowly that day, but we waited about an hour and a half for the cable car at Hyde Street to take us back to Powell Street.  As if my body hadn’t had enough for the day, I rode on the outside of the cable car standing, which wouldn’t have been so bad had it not been for the January SF wind.


Your body will thank you when you sit down.  Perhaps its time to meet friends for dinner at Radish.

No comments:

Post a Comment